Friday 27 September 2013

Warning: if you can't cook normal desserts ...

Then you probably can't cook vegan ones.

'M having a lot of fun experimenting with the new parameters of my diet. I have discovered that I love love LOVE cauliflower and avocado.  I have discovered that if you mix it with homemade hummus and some salsa, it's the best thing on corn chips that's ever been invented. I've found out that even when you go to the 'organic' aisle, corn chips have the power to kill orangutans. Woolworths: I'm looking at you; smarten the hell up with your macro range or I'm permanently defecting to Coles.
THEN there's toffee. D'you know, I've never for the life of me been able to make it.  I've made accidental butterscotch that was too buttery, hard rock candy when I wanted fudge. And I don't know why I thought it would be different after spending a ransom on pure maple syrup and organic coconut oil, but I was keen enough to try a great vegan caramel. 3rd time's a charm? Not too hot not too cold just right?

Try runny, run run runny! A good advisor suggested I drop some into cold water to see if it would set. Filled with optimism I ladelled spoon after spoonful into a cuo of cold water, each spoonful dissipating, sugar crystals morphing into the water like that creepy monster (aka hot xfiles detective) from the Terminator.  It's still sitting in the fridge; every so often I test it and - though definitely more viscous, it would barely suit any purpose better than as a topping for ice cream.

And therein, ladies and gents,  lies the rub. For not only would this be a suitable caramel for icecream, it would be AMAZING.  Just when I can't eat ice cream, I have accidentally manufacturered the world's BEST caramel topping. And before you suggest I buy some soy conconction, let me assure you that I would rather lose my sense of taste!

So. Here's a tip: coconut milk and oil make really good tasting toffee, but if you can't make it the regular way you might struggle here too. It may also be that these two ingredients simply weren't designed to set. I won't lie; the original recipe called for trans fatty margarine and I simply wouldn't do it!!

What also to do with a big jug of maple syrup?  Anyone got a good recipe for vegan (dare I say gluten free)  pancakes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment